Yesterday's storm timely reminder to prepare properties
ROCKHAMPTON Regional Council is reminding residents to prepare properties for storm season, following the wild weather that surprised the region yesterday afternoon.
Local Disaster Management Group chair Cr Tony Williams said the storm was a timely reminder to have homes and properties prepared for the unpredictable weather that can be common for this time of year.
"While we can keep an eye on the weather forecasts, yesterday was an example of just how quick storms can roll in and their severity," Cr Williams said.
"It's so important to ensure that properties are prepared in advance for this kind of weather."
There are a number of actions property owners and residents can take to be prepared:
- Prepare an Emergency Plan for your home and property
- Prepare an Emergency Kit - which should include a torch, portable radio, spare batteries, first aid kit, fresh water, toiletries, emergency contact numbers and important documents
- Check and restock first aid items
- Remove debris from gutters
- Check that your roof is in good condition
- Secure loose items around your yard and patio
- Stay up to date with weather warnings - listen to local radio and/or television, or check the Bureau of Meteorology website for updates.
Further information on preparing your home is also available to residents on Council's website at www.rockhamptonregion.qld.gov.au under the 'Council Services' and 'Disaster Management' tabs.